Principal Systems Engineer
The Principal Systems Engineer leads all design, development, and maintenance of electromechanical systems for Hart InterCivic’s election systems products, responsible for the design and implementation of electromechanical solutions, development plans and product quality. Serves as the department’s senior most systems design engineer, leading the design and development activities of cross functional systems engineering team, comprised of electrical, mechanical, and regulatory engineers. Having a wide-ranging background in hardware and systems design, this individual must have outstanding problem solving and system debug skills.
- Operate in a multi-disciplinary team environment, practicing concurrent engineering principles.
- Lead efforts in creation of specifications, design, and test methods for the new products. Perform DFMEA analysis on new and/or existing designs.
- Complete the product design, analysis and development of electrical components, electromechanical systems and equipment, including schematics, bills of materials, test plans as required documentation from design concept to manufacturing release, following formal stage gate management. Analyze current designs and products for improvements and/or troubleshooting.
- Responsible for engineering team alignment to work on product concepts and designs, ensuring electromechanical systems design meets product roadmap and market requirements.
- Direct responsibility for generating digital and analog designs based on requirements and systems specifications.
- Support and enhance relevant design control activities and related documentation, including design inputs, design outputs, qualification activities, regulatory requirements, and related pursuits.
- Manages contract resources, Original Device Manufacturers (ODMs), Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), and testing laboratories to ensure requirements and operating standards are met.
- Interface with manufacturing on an ongoing basis during the design and development stages to ensure manufacturability and design intent of the product. Understand manufacturing requirements of the products and apply Design for Manufacturing and Assembly concepts.
- Research new technologies and generate competitive benchmarking data and information by best of breed analysis, testing and research.
- Conducts supplier process audits, risk assessment and drives continuous improvement activities.
- Identifies, quantifies, and manages Value Engineering (VE) efforts across the product line.
- Build and test prototypes and integrated systems as a part of the development process. Perform evaluation of circuits and assemblies, including agency testing (FCC, UL, CSA, etc).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree (BSEE) or equivalent from four-year college.
- At least 10 years as an electromechanical systems engineer, with hands-on design level experience with digital and analog electrical design, platform and enclosure engineering, power systems, and control system design.
- Experience driving products using formal stage/phase program methods from inception through regulatory approvals in a federally governed industry such as Voting Systems (VVSG), Medical Devices (510K), Gaming Equipment, or other applicable industries.
- Strong knowledge of electrical design standards and tools, including OrCAD, Allegro and/or PADS, with the ability to create schematics and layouts.
- Experience with agency test requirements such as UL 62368-1, FCC Class B, CSA, etc.
- Experience with failure analysis techniques such as DFMEA
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Mix of analog and digital design, with experience designing and debugging modern computing interfaces and peripherals, including USB, I2C, and Ethernet within an Intel-based computing environment. Experience integrating MCUs such as PIC strongly desired.
- Strong experience with Regulatory standards including FCC Class B, UL 62368-1. Understanding of system grounding/shielding and EMI mitigation design practices.
- Knowledge of electromechanical enclosure design, injection molding tooling planning and practices.
- Able to work with PCB designer and technicians to prototype printed circuit board assemblies.
- Demonstrated experience in full life cycle product development, from concept through manufacturing integration and launch.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, project budgeting, and risk management techniques. Able to make accurate work estimates and deliver project within schedule and budget constraints.
- Strong strategic and analytical skills balanced with results-oriented decision making ability.
- Must be knowledgeable and conversant in hardware and systems level designs, product development concepts and read, analyze, and interpret technical specifications, procedures, and government regulations.
- Bench and system-level integration/debug/troubleshooting experience. Capable of constructing and testing electrical assemblies. Strong test and debugging skills using test equipment.
- Knowledge of hardware and software security protocols, including Trusted Platform Modules (TPM), potting and encapsulation, surface attack reduction, and component/cable/harness obfuscation.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Ability to understand and relate project status and issues via clear verbal and written means very quickly.
How to Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to Hart InterCivic Jobs.
Or, if you prefer, you may fax your resume and cover letter to our HR department at 512.252.6724 or send the information to the following address:
P.O. Box 80649
Austin, Texas 78708-0649
Human Resources Department
Position: Principal Systems Engineer